Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Home Again

To Mom

I hate good-byes. You know this. I am always in a rush to leave a place so I do not have to endure them. The few days approaching the end of a break or before a long trip I mope bitterly. The past few days I have felt the same as always, sad...somber...distracted... I admit I teared up when I turned around at security and could no longer see you waiting and waving. I felt dejected the entire day, longing to stay and excited to go. The feeling persisted even after reuniting with the team and landing in Port au Prince. On the ride to Canaan, I was beginning to think it would linger for days. When we arrived we got out of the truck and gave hugs around to the Haitian adults waiting for us.
Then from down the hill I heard my name called and when I turned around there was a host of kids charging up the hill to swallow us in hugs. The next hour was spent in hugs and tears and my sore attempts at creole greetings. I'd almost forgotten how much I missed them.

I sometimes wish that I could buy a huge piece of land and transport all my loved ones there. It would be a Utopia of family, Harding, Gander Brook, Canaan and College Station. Then I remember what you told me this summer. That the place I am longing for is heaven. Well! I wish it would hurry up and get here. But it is alright. I am learning to accept that no matter where I am part of me will long for somewhere else. But wherever I am is home because I am never without what I love most:)

I miss you terribly. I pray for you constantly. May God protect and guide you on all your travels and know I long to be with you.

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Heather!

    I pray that you continue to be blessed by the Haitian people. Lane just returned from Haiti and is ready to go back. I love reading your blog and hope you continue to share your experiences.

    Page Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you say you are a bad writer! I think not. I know it started out as an e-mail but I appreciate that you shared it with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I had managed not to cry until I read this. I miss you terribly to. But as I said it would be worse if I didn't.
    I am awed by your heart. I look at Amelia these days and I remember when you and your sisters were her age and I wondered what God had in store for such awesome, beautiful and unique little girls as each one of you started showing more and more your wonderful personalities and interest. I know that he has blessed me beyond anything I could imagine by putting you all in my life.And I am very thankful to see the special place he has put each one of you in to be a blessing, and be blessed by others.
    I love you,Mom.

    ReplyDelete