Friday, January 13, 2012

Arkansas Adventures

Last saturday, I chose to make the daring trek to my alma mater in the foothills of the Ozarks, Harding University. It was a chance to see old friends, talk to my professors and spend 16 hours in my car, Guber. Unfortunately, as uplifting as it was to be reminded of all the people I love and care for, Guber didn't make it out of Arkansas in one piece. On Saturday night, as I was driving down highway 67 with Meghan Przezcherski...sorry Megs I tried to spell it...a deer decided to run out in front of us without any warning. I hit it at 70 mph and watched it fly an impressive 1000 yards(this might be a hyperbole). When the brakes finally brought us to a swift stop I turned to Meghan and in a squeaky, incredulous voice shouted, "I just killed a deer!". We pulled off the road right behind the deer carcass and checked my car, which was now hissing, steaming and missing a headlight. We decided to try and make it back to Searcy because it was about 1:00am and we were in the middle of nowhere on a Arkansas highway. We made it most of the way without incident until I stopped at a stoplight and we heard a suspicious thud. Meghan jumped out to check what it was and came back with Guber's grill. At first we laughed, but then Meghan realized there might be deer guts on it and threw it in the backseat. 

After a long discussion with an Autozone guy and failed attempts at opening my hood we finally reached the decision that Guber was not making it back to Texas of his own volition. So my AMAZING brother-in-law, Curtis Davis, drove my grandfather's truck all the way up to Arkansas on his day off. We loaded Guber onto a rented trailer and dragged him 500 miles and 10 hours back down to good ol' College Station. And the final damage? Two-thousand dollars. I have to replace Guber's entire front end.   

Lessons learned? Do not drive on Arkansas highways at night. Make sure your insurance covers run-ins with deer. And set your sisters up with really, really nice guys (there is no need to actually marry a nice guy if you have sisters). 

No comments:

Post a Comment